60 min prep time
Orange is the new green! This fun take on guacamole is healthy, delicious and colorful. Serve with warm tortilla chips.
3 garnet yams
1 large red onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, rough chopped
2 serrano chilis, seeded
1 jalapeno (not seeded)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup safflower oil
Zest of 1 lime
2 tsp. fresh lime juice (1 lime)
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 tsp. Kosher salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Bake the yams on a rimmed baking sheet for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until they are easily pierced with a fork. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
3. While the yams are baking, in a food processor, combine the onion, garlic, oils, lime zest and juice, chili powder, black pepper, and salt. Pulse for 30 seconds, scrape the sides of the container with a rubber spatula, then pulse for another 30 seconds.
4. When the yams have cooled, cut the charred ends off the yams, then cut each one into thick pieces (1 to 2 inches thick). Do not remove the skin.
5. Add the yams to the food processor and pulse to make a chunky yet smooth mixture (like guacamole), being careful to not over blend.
Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.