140 min prep time
Many of these items are available for purchase.
4 lb. Tri-Tip cut into 3/4 inch cubes
2 tbsp. Kosher salt (divided)
1 tsp. black pepper
4 tbsp. Safflower oil (divided)
1 lb. red onion diced
1 lb. yellow onion diced
4 large garlic cloves minced
1 large poblano pepper, seeded and diced
1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chipped
1/2 cup chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, pureed
2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 cup chili powder
42 oz. diced tomates in juice
12 oz. bottle dark beer (porter is our favorite)
1 cup water
2 tsp. honey
1 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Combine cubed Tri-Tip with 1 tbsp. Kosher salt, 1 tsp. black pepper, and 2 tbsp. Safflower oil.
3. Spread onto parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheets. Making sure beef cubes are not touching.
4. Roast for approx. 15-20 minutes, or until well browned.
5. While meat is roasting, in a large heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
6. Add onions, garlic, and peppers. Stir and cook until onions are beginning to soften. Do not brown.
7. Add browned meat, scarping any browned bits from the pan into the onion mixture along with chipotle peppers puree, cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, beer, water, 1 tbsp. Kosher salt, and honey. Stir mixture and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
8. Once mixture boils, cover and reduce heat to a simmer (or put the covered pan into the oven and bake at 300°F for approx. 2 hours). Cook until the meat is tender and the sauce has thickened.
9. Finish by stirring in the chocolate. Taste for seasoning.