60 min prep time
4 Mishima Reserve Bavette steaks
The Butcher's Table Seasoning Blend*
* if you don't have The Butcher's Table Seasoning Blend, use salt and pepper or your favorite spice blend.
4 large potatoes (preferably Russet) peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch thick sticks
2 quarts peanut oil, or as needed to fully submerge fries in pot (or fryer)
Butcher's Table Beef Fat Fries Seasoning:
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1/4 tbsp. white vinegar powder
1. Generously coat both sides of the steaks with the seasoning, cover, and place in the refrigerator. (For the best flavor, season the beef at least four hours prior to cooking.) Remove from the refrigerator one hour before cooking to bring to room temperature.
2. If pan-searing your meat, preheat your oven to 350°F.
3. Grill or pan-sear the cut on medium-high heat, about 1-1/2 minutes per side. If you're grilling, watch for flare-ups and rotate the steaks to make cross-hatch marks.
4. Finish the steaks on a higher rack in the barbecue with the lid closed or in the oven to your desired temperature. (Check doneness with a Thermapen MK4 for a quick and accurate read on internal temperatures.)
5. Let steaks rest for 5 to 10 minutes prior to serving or cutting. (If hosting a crowd, sear the meat ahead of time without finishing it and then refrigerate. When you are ready to serve your guests, finish the steaks in a 350°F oven.)
1. Prepare a large bowl of ice water and soak the cut potatoes for a minimum of thirty minutes (and up to 24 hours). Remove from the ice bath and rinse well in cold water.
2. In a deep, heavy pot or fryer, heat oil to 290°F. Working in batches, lower the fries into the oil and cook 7 to 8 minutes, until they are somewhat translucent and softened, but not colored. Remove the fries from the oil and let them drain on a paper towel for a minimum of 15 minutes.
3. Just before serving, bring the oil temperature up to 350°F, and fry the blanched potatoes for no more than 5 minutes, until they are golden and crisp on the outside. Remove the fries from the oil with a skimmer and shake off excess oil. Place the fries in a large bowl, dust with our Butcher's Table Beef Fat Fries Seasoning, and serve immediately.