90 min prep time
5 tbsp. safflower oil
1 bulb fennel, halved and thinly sliced lengthwise, tops reserved
3 large yellow onions thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic minced
2 quarts mushroom or beef stock
1 pound cremini mushrooms, stems removed and roughly chopped
1/4 cup dry sherry wine
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat 4 tablespoons of the safflower in a large pot over medium- high heat. Add the fennel and onions and cook, stirring, until soft and caramelized, about 1 hour.
2. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
3. Pour in the stock and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
4. In a large pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon safflower oil over medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
5. Add the sherry and cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
6. Scrape the mushrooms and sherry into the soup and cook, stirring, to marry flavors, about 5 minutes. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowls, and garnish with the reserved fennel fronds.